Linkedin and Latinos
June 16th, 2011
Posted by Jose Villa
I was doing my daily ritual of looking at my LinkedIn.com “wall” when I decided to go through my roughly twice a month ritual of checking out the “People You May Know” tool.
As I was scrolling through about 40
-50 names (of people I didn’t actually know), I was
struck by how many of the names that came up were Hispanics. Literally, there were somewhere in the vicinity of 75% Hispanics surnames (and names). The other 25% were evenly split
among Caucasians, Asians and African-Americans.
I’ve always felt that there are all sorts of untapped opportunities for B2B marketers, brands targeting affluent consumers, and recruiters to reach Hispanics on platforms like LinkedIn. But interestingly, no one ever brings up LinkedIn in the context of Hispanic marketing. In fact, it’s never discussed, and the same goes for African American, Asian and other multicultural marketing. Facebook and Twitter always get all the attention.
I know our agency has used Linkedin with great success for financial service and government clients.
Maybe Linkedin’s big IPO will bring more attention to the professional social networking powerhouse. The attention would definitely be well deserved.
You must be logged in to post a comment.